Purchasing a business in Maryborough in 1871, Mr Stupart lost all in the 1876 fire. He soon rebuilt the two-storey Criterion building facing Kent Street (est. 1871 on façade). Then the two-storey block on the Bazaar Street corner was completed in 1883 which he called The Drapery Palace. The business expanded along Bazaar Street in 1914 and a third storey was added to this extension in 1921. The firm of David Jones traded here from 1977-1981.