The Australian Joint Stock Bank first purchased the building in 1866; this rendered brick building but did not open until January 1884. The Union Bank occupied the building from 1906. The classic revival style includes an arched entrance and upper level Corinthian pillars.
In 1899 during the time her father was the manager of this bank, Helen Lyndon Goff was born in the residence above. Later using the pseudonym PL Travers, she wrote the Mary Poppins series of books.