A single storey boarding house, The Prince of Wales, first occupied this site. This was licensed as the Melbourne Hotel in 1864 but was destroyed by fire in 1878. A two story building was rebuilt here and the third story was added in 1882.
The name was changed to Riverview in 1915 and to the Criterion in 1941. Neil Blue, a proprietor for many years, died in 1893 after helping many people during the township's largest recorded flood.