Walk Itinerary
Walk Map
About This Walk
27. Post Office

Wharf & Bazaar Sts

The Post Office opened in 1866 and is the oldest surviving masonry Post Office in Queensland. In those early days, attached to the top of the tower, was a wooden pole holding a Time Ball which was lowered each day at 1pm. The tower was extended in 1879 for better visibility and to house a clock with four faces. Adjacent to the Post Office, the site of the first Telephone Exchange in country Queensland was established here in 1882 with 32 subscribers.

Cross the pedestrian crossing to the…